Daniel Boland writes:

I set up a Debian server with courier imap and created a ssl certificate.

However every time i sign on to the server to check my mail I get a warning because the certificate says 'localhost' instead of my actual domain. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Pay several hundred dollars, every year, to Verisign, for a real SSL certificate.

Also i have courier set up to use virtual hosts. Does anyone know how i could configure the server to present the client with a certificate for the virtual domain they are connecting to?

This is possible only if there's a dedicated IP address for each domain. It is technically impossible to implement this with a single IP address. With multiple IP addresses, install each certificate as CERTFILE.aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd.

There's actually an experimental extension in TLS 1.1 that supports virtual hosts, but I doubt that any mail client implements it, and it doesn't look like it's supported by openssl.