On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 09:32:40PM +1100, Voytek Eymont wrote:
> if I telnet to localhost 995, should I see some prompt?

No.

> what can I enter on telnet prompt ?

Nothing - unless you can type SSL binary data :-)

What you need is an SSL client: this should do the trick

    openssl s_client -connect 127.0.0.1:995

The alternative is to telnet to your normal port 110 or 143, and then issue
the STLS or STARTTLS command. But at that point, again you have to start a
binary SSL exchange, so telnet is useless at that point.

HTH,

Brian.