don caprio writes:

Can I use authdaemon as a backend to SASL or should

"authdaemon" is a discrete authentication library. "SASL" is an abstract authentication framework. This statement makes no sense to me.

I use the mysql plugin and authenticate directly against my mysql data base? I also see that it's possible to configure SASL to authenticate using IMAP.

If by "SASL" you mean Cyrus-SASL, which is also a discrete authentication library, which is different from "SASL", an abstract authentication framework, then what it seems you're asking is whether you should configure Cyrus SASL to authentication using authdaemon (apparently Cyrus-SASL gained that capability sometime in the last couple of years) which is configured to authenticate userid/passwords stored in a mysql table, or set up Cyrus-SASL to read userid/passwords directly from mysql, like authdaemon.

I don't want to manage two user data bases one for imap and teh over for SASL.

You're not. You're storing a single user database in one place - a mysql table. Rather, you are storing the mysql configuration itself in two separate places, in authmysqlrc, and in the Cyrus-SASL's equivalent. There is some merit in keeping the MySQL configuration in one place, authmysqlrc, so there's one place to change or maintain the mysql configuration -- authmysqlrc.

You also seem to be asking about the alternative Cyrus-SASL configuration that would presumably use authdaemon indirectly by attempting to authenticate using IMAP. That is probably the worst alternative, from a performance standpoint. It wouldn't matter much for a lightly-loaded server with, perhaps, a few hundred users. But for a busy box such a setup would introduce a tremendous amount of overhead, over the other possibilities.