Jesse Vollmar writes:

Just an update: I gave up on the portage installation of courier-imap. I unmerged it and then installed courier-imap-3.6.0 from source. Now, all the server daemons are running properly and accepting connections however, I still have to start them manually (/usr/lib/courier-imap/libexec/*.rc start). Those are the startup scripts listed in INSTALL. I tried to use the provided init script but it will not successfully start the servers. I am looking for a working init.d control script if anyone can provide a sample.

Well, if you explain exactly why they don't work, someone might be able to point you in the right direction. Other than that, you can try asking for help on your distro's mailing list. Starting those daemons is not rocket science. It should be fairly simple.