On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 06:57:18AM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Kelsey Cummings writes:
> > This is true of course but it doesn't help solve the problem.  Any
> > suggestions as to how to improve performance or mitigate the problem?
>
> Fix the client. It's a client problem.

Agreed, but there isn't anyway that I can fix the client but I can
improve the server to work better with broken clients.

> > it brings up another issue to.  Courier has no way of limiting
> > connections by user
>
> Of course it does. Courier's default configuration limits four connections
> from the same IP address.

That is limiting connections by IP address not user.  Per IP limits are
of little use if you have set them high enough to allow large groups of
users behind single IPs in.

Per user limits would mitigate the problem and at least keep an
out-of-control client from affecting server performance.

--
Kelsey Cummings - k...@corp.sonic.net      sonic.net, inc.
System Architect                          2260 Apollo Way