From: "Steve Chupack" <steve.chup...@dealer.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2009 3:52 PM
To: <courier-imap@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Courier-imap] long running imapd processes

> Thanks. I suspected this was the case. I had someone tell me it was bad,
> so I figured I'd check with the experts.
>
> I am dealing with some performance issues, but we typically have approx
> 600 imapd processes running on a 3 year old, quad core box. Also, we have
> numerous users with 20K plus messages in their inbox, and rumor has it
> that 10K or so is pushing it.
>
> Anyone have an opinion on that last tidbit?

Sure - depends on filesystem, number of users, number of simultaneous users,
etc. - watch io wait in top.
We have 2 server cluster with Maildirs on NetApp 2020 filer over nfs and
600-700 connections at any time.
The problem with number of messages shows up in webmail more - anything more
than 2,000 is slow.
With full client like Thunderbird - 10,000 is workable in our case.
The problem is readdir over nfs (I think). Bulk of our nfs operations is
from reading and re-reading Maildir contents.

So, the answer is (as always) - it dedpends....