then It's vey probable that you filesystem is damaged. umount this drive and
pass a fsck ;)

----- Original Message -----
From: "a.h.s. boy (lists)" <spudli...@nothingness.org>
To: <courier-imap@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Friday, January 01, 2010 8:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Courier-imap] imapd process CPU usage pegged at 100%

Thanks everyone for the insight --  I may well see if I can nudge this
particular user to archive older mail for the sake of efficiency, but I now
suspect that my server load issues may exist independent of this IMAP
problem. The IMAP debug logs (which leave something to be desired in the way
of timestamps) don't seem to indicate any radically unusual behavior, and
I'm having WORSE server load issues today than ever before, and it doesn't
even appear that this user has been checking his mail today.

My system clock, however, has been drifting at the rate of about 5
minutes/hour(!), so I'm beginning to suspect a hardware issue that no amount
of log comparisons would have indicated...

The saga continues, happy new year!

Cheers,
spud.

On Jan 1, 2010, at 10:38 AM, Steve Chupack wrote:

> In my personal experience, courier-imap begins to bog down as you start
> pushing 10K messages in the main inbox. And although you're seeing high
> CPU load, my guess is that disk IO is the true culprit. That has always
> been the limiting factor on my courier-imap servers. FYI, I'm using a
> Poweredge 2950 with 8 cores and 5, 10K rpm disks configured as RAID 10.
>
> I have some users with upwards of 50K messages in their inbox, and just
> one of those users can literally bring the server to a point of being
> unusable. And yes, I realize keeping that much mail in your main inbox is
> ludicrous. But it's hard to control user behavior. I find if I run a shell
> script that moves all mail older than X days out of Maildir/cur into an
> "archive" folder it dramatically increases performance. In fact, I'm
> thinking about automating this process for all my users.
>
> Maybe Sam can shed some light on this, but I also believe having multiple
> clients (especially a mix of IMAP and POP) simultaneously checking the
> same mailbox can also be taxing on the server. In fact, I have always
> believed that mixing IMAP and POP was a really bad idea, but that may just
> be superstition on my part.
>

> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 00:19:40 +0100
> "Cosas Minovela" <co...@minovela.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This activity seems to be normal, and 7000 emails is not an enough
>> quantity
>> to increase so much the server load.
>>
>> Were these logs taken when this high server load?
>>
>> When some client does login, the first thing IMAP (or any pop3 client)
>> does
>> is to do an STATUS task, where it count how many emails there are to
>> download and then it moves all emails files from the "new" folder to the
>> "cur" folder. This is an intensive disk task. It's possible that your
>> disk
>> I/O activity and disk bandwith is already overloaded and the STATUS
>> command
>> on IMAP finally fill the whole disk bandwidth and consecuently, the
>> server
>> load.
>>
>> You could try to setup the mail server in a sepparate hard disk.
>>
>> Anyway let's wait for more answers ;)
>>
>> Iván López.
>> Logosur de Telecomunicación S.L.L.

>>> queries). A few, but nothing recurring or fitting the pattern of my