Some ramblings on the topic:

Firstly, it'd be interesting to know what you consider high volume
(in terms of concurrent users, total new emails per day and maybe
average number of emails per folder)

Also performance probably depends quite a lot on the usage patterns and
other requirements. If your users largely just pull there emails
using POP3, the extra indexing features of Dovecot probably don't help
you very much. But if your users do a lot of listing/searching in a
scenario where many people keep most of their email in IMAP folders some
people have claimed quite considerable performance improvements up to an
order of magnitude (a dedicated webmail software development and webmail
service provider company with a total user base of several million,
don't know how large the particular installation was, don't know what
storage infrastructure they were using).

An interesting point is probably also if you plan to use share nothing
nodes with  dedicated storage block devices per node and lots of RAM per
User (i.e. a situation where most of the indexes/directory tables are
located in the local main memory), or if you are going for a setup with
a NAS (e.g. NFS) to provide for high availability with failover time
measured in seconds, with very little caching at the local IMAP node. In
the latter case, the NAS part quickly becomes a bottleneck and thus
Dovecots ability to reduce the number of IO requests required is
probably a helpful thing to improve scalability.

In the latter case, spending money on a good NAS and client hardware/OS
that deal well with your NAS protocol is probably a good idea.

I.e. go for guys like NetApp rather than ancient Linux kernels
put in a fancy x86 chassis and labelled NAS. Or best avoid this
problem altogether by scaling out with many NASes rather
than scaling up with a big one (especially if you expect lots
of growth in terms of users).

Linux' NFS client implementation used to suck quite badly
several years ago at least, FreeBSD was better and Solaris Sparc
(on Niagara) was better still.

In the NAS scenario, a colleague recently ran a recent Courier Imap
on fairly loaded Solaris/Niagara 1 boxen serving thousands of
parallel sessions per box against a Dovecot 2.X running on a
CentOS6/x86-VM serving just the test mailbox containing about
4000 emails. Accessing that test mail box with a webmail
software that needs to read in email listings every time
you log in, he was quite impressed with how much faster
it seemed, but he didn't do any accurate measurements yet.

But if you use a shared storage, Dovecot's use of index files could
also become a drawback because it's much harder keep these in sync
and in working order if you allow concurrent access
to these structures on several nodes. Courier imap is pretty rock
solid with many nodes accessing the same NAS.

Using an MDA that can create the same index structures that
your IMAP server of choice can read in order to reduce the need
to scan/rebuild folder indices is probably a good idea
too.

Also, think about backup and disaster recovery right from the start.
Traditional backup software is quite bad at dealing with many millions
of small files that change a lot every day. A storage
backend that allows you to do filesystem level snapshots and mirror
these to a place far away is better.

If you are aiming for 100% uptime, invest in a storage-technology that
can survive blowing up at least one component device while
continuing to serve data. Dealing with thousands of irate users
that cannot access their email, who are fearing for their data or whose
new emails get rejected because you have to do some unexpected offline
maintenance on your storage infrastructure during the day can be
quite challenging. And the damage to the reputation of your service
can linger for years.

BTW, if you read German, or at least can gather what you need from
some of the stats pictures, here's a 5 year old article
on the subject.

http://www.linux-magazin.de/Heft-Abo/Ausgaben/2007/06/Auf-der-Teststrecke/