Tetsuo Handa writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Tetsuo Handa writes:
>
> > Then, I think that my case ( /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd process crashes
> > by
> > memory corruption; valgrind reports off-by-a-few-bytes ) should be considered > > as a bug of courier-imap when a bogus 0xe3 is located at the tail of a mail
> > address (e.g. <someb...@example.com\\xe3> ) within the header lines.
> >
> > I\'ll try to develop an example reproducer for bug reporting.
>
> You should try to capture the exact IMAP commands too. I cannot reproduce
> your crash, at least with the current version of Courier-IMAP, with FETCH
> (ENVELOPE), which would be the likely culprit.

I can reproduce the crash (both courier-imap-4.9.3 and courier-imap-4.12.0)
on CentOS 6.3 with below steps.

This turns out to be a tiny bug in the GNU libidn library causing all sorts of crap happen in Courier-IMAP. I'm not a happy camper today. I need to figure out how to work around this bug…

In the mean time, you can build Courier and Courier-IMAP with an additional --without-libidn parameter passed to the configure script. This will turn off some IDN support bits.