Victor writes:

On Oct/17/14 2:10, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Oliver Mihatsch writes:
>
>> Behaviour when using the following variable (added !, added TLSv1_1):
>> TLS_CIPHER_LIST="!SSLv3:TLSv1:TLSv1_1:HIGH:!LOW:!MEDIUM:!EXP:!NULL:! aNULL@STRENGTH"
>>

>> SSLv3 working, TLS 1.0 working, TLS 1.1 working, TLS 1.2 working (no
>> changes to before)
>>

>> So results were not really what I was expecting. SSLv3 and TLS1/1.1
>> are somehow just an alias for each other.
>
> This weirdness is entirely OpenSSL's doing. This setting is passed
> directly to OpenSSL, with no further interpretation.
>
> Someone else already dug up the code change necessary to disable
> SSLv3. It appears that a small code change is required.

There was a patch released for OpenSSL recently which included
TLS_FALLBACK_SCSV support. Isn't upgrading enough in this case? Or is
there still a need to reconfigure imapd?

That depends on how it got implemented in OpenSSL. If it's a discrete option that an application must set, it obviously needs to be a code change.

If it's enabled by default, and there are no resulting ABI changes, no recompilation is necessary.

If it's enabled by default, and there are ABI changes, just a recompilation is needed.