Lukasz Szybalski writes:

Just so I'm clear. This is a "mailbot" script correct? or ?
DEFAULTDELIVERY='mailbot -T replydraft -l ./Maildir/.Vacation -d autoresponsedb -A "From: $RECIPIENT" /usr/sbin/sendmail -f ""
./Maildir'

Prepend a | before mailbot:

| mailbot -I replydraft…

You do not have to set this in DEFAULTDELIVERY, and drop it into place for all mail accounts. You can simply install it into some account's .courier file, and use that account for testing.

All DEFAULTDELIVERY does is provide the default contents of $HOME/.courier if one does not exist. Everything in the dot-courier man page applies to DEFAULTDELIVERY.

Also,

Post from Angel Gonzalez...
The easy way would be to have the users set them through the webmail. If
you want the users not to leave thunderbird, I would make a tiny
thunderbird extension wrapping the "set your vacation reply" webpage.

Can I trigger a vacation message similar how "webmail" would do it, based on the fact that user "created" a vacation message in vacation folder like you suggesting above?

I suppose it's possible, but it won't be as smooth. sqwebmail's interface to maildrop needs to be enabled and set up, and that can be tricky. Then, enabling a vacation-type autoresponse is done by going to a mail filtering and installing a dummy filtering rule that matchs all incoming mail.

An unsophisticated user might find the sqwebmail interface a bit intimidating.

If there is draft email in vacation folder, do what webmail does to create a vacation email response. When you say webmail do you mean what exactly? Which one? How does it do it.

This is referring to sqwebmail's mail filtering option.