Ángel writes:

> I'm just curious about the average number of lintian-overrides per package,
> in Debian. I found Debian's standards to be such a distraction that I had to
> write my own script that runs lintian and automatically converts its noise
> into overrides. I would not be surprised to learn that many others do the
> same.

Debian has 59k packages. Of course they need to standarise things
somewhat so each package doesn't do everything on its completely own
way. Imagine administering a system where each package used a different
standard on where should the system settings live?

System settings belong in /etc. Some established standards like that is one thing. This is not a Debian standard, and not even a Linux standard, this predated Linux.

I was in the middle of enumerating all of the stuff that went into lintian- overrides, and why most (but not all) was pointless, but decided to replace it with the bigger picture. This creates a lot of overhead. There are plenty of complaints to be found about lack of Debian packagers. This does not help. Who wants to have to fight upstream's packaging in perpetuity.

Contrast this with other, unnamed distros' policy of minimal changes to upstream packages; only minimal changes in accordance to minimal distribution standards. They don't seem to have as much trouble finding people who volunteer to package stuff for the distros.

> maildrop and courier-maildrop are configured differently. Debian
> either packages the standalone maildrop package only, or packages
> Courier's maildrop as a standalone package.

I'm familiar with the tale of the two maildrops. However,

> Ditto for sqwebmail.

what's the problem with sqwebmail?

AFAIK there's only one sqwebmail version. And I'm not aware of issues
arising on how it has been packaged.

There are some default configuration settings that differ. One is: sqwebmail's configure looks for "sendmail" in PATH. Courier's sqwebmail knows where Courier's is. So if you have both Courier and sendmail or postfix installed, the end results may not be what your intentions were.