Gordon Messmer writes:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> Jim Cooley writes:
>>
>> > Is there any way for a perlfilter to see a bcc address, especially
>> > if that bcc address is causing the server to deliver the mail to a
>> > local account?
>> >
>> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> The only thing that can be done is to read the control file, and fetch the
>> envelope recipients from the control file.
>
> Except that filters aren't given any indication of what the control file
> for this message is.
>
> The patch that I've attached modifies submit2.C so that the contol file
> names are given to the filters.  I believe that this is the absolute
> minimum change (removes about 10 LOC from get_msgid_for_filters) to get
> courierfilter to work as it is documented to.
>
> Several people working on courier global filters have complained that
> global filters aren't given the information that the documentation claims
> that they should.  Will this behavior or the documentation be corrected?

Ok, I looked into this.  Here's what happened.  The original purpose for
that filter parameter were to give the filter the ability to blow away the
message from the queue, hence I fed it the filename.

Soon thereafter it was determined that there were some technical issues with
that approach, and the correct way was to use the message's internal
tracking id, and blow the message away using the cancel mechanism, hence the
control file parameter was replaced with the message queue id parameter.

The sample dupfilter was subsequently written.  dupfilter can cancel dupes
that have not been delivered yet, using their message queue id, that it gets
from courierfilter, so your patch is going to break it.

I think that probably the best thing to do is to append the control filename
to the message queue id, instead of replacing it (and modify dupfilter
accordingly).  The message queue id itseld cannot contain any spaces, so
appending a space, and the control filename, should work.

--
Sam