I found the problem... so for future trouble-shooting when somebody
reports these symptoms:

Essentially the .courier-foo lookup was failing because the
authentication process was failing with authldap.  I had it in the list
of modules for authdaemon, but had not set it up to work against any
real LDAP server.

The solution was to take authldap out of the module list (or, I suppose,
to setup an LDAP server).

-andy