Michael Carmack writes:

> On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 02:17:02PM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Michael Carmack writes:
>>

>> >I created a test user and captured the strace output from both the
>> >IMAP process and the mail client. Rather than send the output to the
>> >list (the files are a bit long), I've made them availabe at:
>> >
>> >http://karmak.org/2002/01/courier/strace-imap.txt
>> >http://karmak.org/2002/01/courier/strace-mutt.txt]
>>
>> 23436 write(3, "AUTH 32\nimap\nlogin\[EMAIL PROTECTED]"..., 41) = 41

>> 23436 read(3, "FAIL\n", 8191)           = 5
>>
>> You supplied an incorrect login userid or password.
>
> My mistake. I created the "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" entry so an actual user
> password wouldn't appear in the strace output, but forgot to run
> 'makeuserdb' after doing so.

You have a serious misconfiguration there:

23981 read(3, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]\nUID=100"..., 8191) = 119

23981 chdir("/mail/karmak.org/test")    = 0

That's a succesfull authentication followed by opening /mail/karmak.org/test
as the account's home directory.  However, the next call is:

execve("/pkg/courier/0.36.1/.i686-pc-linux-gnu/.karmak-standard.1/bin/imapd"
,  ...

Based on the subsequent trace, this file appears not to be the imapd server
binary, but the system startup imapd script.  So, something is seriously
screwed up here.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to determine what that
"something" is.  That's because this pathname suggests that you did not
compile and install Courier yourself, but used a prepackaged version.  You
should contact the package's maintainer for additional assistance.  I have
no idea how your package was built, or what custom configuration this
package uses.  Unless you want to tell us that you ran the configure script
yourself (followed by make install), nobody will have any idea what your
environment is.

--
Sam