Ilkka Urtamo wrote:

> Hi
>
>I know this is a newbie question but i still am trying to get imap work
>without success:
>
> I have a problem that my imap server wont accept any unix users
> to connect. I had done this:
> 1. Installed RH72
> 2. configured, compiled courier imap with:
> ./configure ;make;su -c "make install-strip" ; su
> -c "make install-configure"
> 3. i run the server with : /usr/lib/courier-imap/libexec/imapd.rc start
>

> Server starts, evertying looks ok. If i telnet the port the
> server answers, but it do not accept any users. The problem is that users
>with normal unix accounts are unable to connect the server. it seems that
>the usernames&passwords are not accepted. when i do 'ps aux' i can c that
>the authdaemon is running with authdaemond.ldap. But i dont use ldap i use
>plan unix users.

If you are using /etc/passwd to authenticate you should set authpwd as
authentication module in your authdaemonrc configuration file
(authmodulelist directive) but if you are using shadow password, you
must use authshadow...

Here is the link with more informations :
http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/INSTALL.html#authmods

Hope this helps ;)