Hello all,

I've been going through so much documentation for so many different
components (Courier-IMAP, maildrop, qmail, sendmail, etc. etc.) that I'm
getting dizzy.  I'm resorting to a post to this list, and I hope I'm not
missing something obvious (likely) in one of the FAQs or elsewhere.  Here
goes...

I have Sendmail running on my mail server, with POP access to mail only.  I
want to provide web-based email access, so I went with Squirrelmail and
Courier-IMAP.  Up until now, each user who wants a POP account has received
an actual UNIX user account (with shell disabled).  I've read the docs with
Courier-IMAP and I like the userdb method where all mail accounts are
"owned" by one UNIX account, say vmail, use maildirs, and are under
/home/vmail/domains/mydomain/user.  Of course, I have many domains.  Now,
I've managed to get things to work in my tests by changing certain sendmail
aliases for certain test accounts to pipe through "maildrop -d
[EMAIL PROTECTED]"  Sure enough, the mail gets there.  I know that
maildrop can be substituted for procmail as Sendmail's local delivery
agent, and that was my plan.  However, I simply cannot understand how to
get Sendmail to *allow* arbitrary addresses (since it doesn't read my
/etc/userdb directory--/etc/userdb/default, /etc/userdb/myfirstdomain.com,
etc.--in order to know who is really a user since I want the virtual users
rather than actual UNIX accounts) and let maildrop determine whether or not
the user exists.  Right now, I have to create an alias for every single
virtual (test) user with the hard-coded pipe through maildrop.  Otherwise,
the process never even reaches the local delivery agent (maildrop), because
Sendmail knows of no such user.  I then decided to go with Qmail instead of
Sendmail, for the added benefits of Qmail, but I have similar problems.  I
realize that this isn't the Qmail list, nor the Sendmail list, so forgive
me if I'm too far off-topic.  I just thought that maybe one of you has this
(seemingly very common) type of setup and could help get me unstuck.  FYI,
I've been looking at:

* my installed docs for Courier-IMAP-1.4.2
* my installed docs for maildrop-1.3.7
* the Sendmail docs
* sendmail.org
* qmail.org
* flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/

I think I've literally been going in circles.

Many, many TIA.

Dan

Dan Yost         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       Proverbs 1:7
                  http://tri8.com

Tri-8, Inc.             "Pro Christo et Regno"
820 S. Main, Suite 2000  Voice: 405.377.3888
Stillwater, OK  74074      FAX: 405.533.1136