Hi All and thanks Sam for Courier IMAP and Maildrop!

I have made a new version 2.01 of the Perl script mb2md. This script is
for converting single Mbox mailboxes to Maildirs.  It can also convert
entire directories of Mbox mailboxes, whilst automatically generating
filenames which Courier IMAP interprets in ways which make the new
mailboxes appear to the user as if in the same subdirectory arrangements
as the old Mbox ones.

  http://www.firstpr.com.au/web-mail/mb2md/

The two primary enhancements in the new version are:

1 - The message file's date-time is made the same as the time
    in its Mbox "From " line.  This is typically the time the
    message was received at the mailserver.  While Netscape/Mozilla
    and other clients ignore this (in both Mbox and Maildir IMAP
    systems) and sort and display dates based on the "Date: " header
    which was generated by the sending client, some clients such as
    Outlook Express evidently rely heavily on the message's "file date".

    The original mb2md made the file date of messages the same as
    the time of conversion, but the new version makes them the
    date-time of their Mbox "From " line.

    Several people have patched mb2md to set the message file's
    date-time, but they used the "Date: " header, not the "From " line.

2 - Flags for:

       Read = Seen
       Replied
       Flagged
       "Tagged for deletion" AKA "Trashed"

    are found in the Status: and X-Status: headers of each message
    and written to flags in the filename of each Maildir message - as
    I think is expected by Courier IMAP and perhaps other IMAP
    daemons.

    This is based on the work of Philip Mak who wrote a separate Perl
    script for Mbox->Maildir on the Mutt mailing list on 25 Dec 2001:

        http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@mutt.org/msg21872.html

The new version relies on GNU "touch" or some other version which can
handle the date-time format found in the "From " line in Mbox mailboxes.

I did my conversions last year and am not actively using this program. I
did a few tests - but there's no way I can anticipate every
eventuality.  Please let me know of any bugs, well documented
enhancements or scripts to drive this script to do mass migrations of
users, automatic discovery of subdirectories of Mbox mailboxes etc..

I would particularly appreciate someone with experience with status
flags in IMAP looking over the new version. The script is well
commented.   One thing I would like to know is the "O" status in a
header such as

means

   - Robin

//  Robin Whittle                   http://www.firstpr.com.au