I have a problem and become a bit frustrated since I cannot seem to figure
out what I have done wrong.  I am new to the list and apologize for my very
basic and I am sure repetitive question.

Ultimately I am trying to get pop3 service to work, but I having no success
with imap or pop3 when I telnet to localhost 110.  The connection is
accepted, but the user authentication fails every time with the same error:

ERR -Maildir:  No such file or directory.

Yet the Maildir exists in the users directory and has messages in it.

I am running redhat 7.2 and postfix which is already configured to deliver
mail in the "maildir-style".  My test user already has a ./Mailbox directory
and several messages residing in the ./Mailbox/new dir.

I have just installed courier-imap using the RPM method described in the
install.  I am trying to utilize the PAM authentication module.  The
./pam.d/imap and pop3 files are installation defaults except I explicitly
add the path to pam_stack.so.

auth    required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
account     required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session     required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

I have double checked the authdaemonrc and AUTHPAM is in the list of
available authentication modules.

The error is as described above when connecting to either IMAP or POP3
ports.  If you require more information I would be happy to provide it.  Any
references to "newbie" style documentation which would contain the answer
would also be welcome.

Sincerely,

Aaron D. Kulick