Thus spake Sam Varshavchik on Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 08:33:13PM CST
> Jesse Keating writes:
>
> > I have a friend, who I'm trying to help get courier setup.  He uses debian, and
> > has installed courier from the latest available debian package.
> >
> > He get's an error while trying to setup the hosteddomains in webadmin, that
> > says:  Configuration error: hosteddomain/webadmin : Permission denied
> >
> > Now he hasn't messed with any permission/ownerships of any files.  Does anybody
> > have any pointers on what could be causing this?
>
> File a bug against the port, let the port maintainer look at this.

I tried to install courier from Debian testing too (versioin 0.37.3-1).  I
ran into trouble with the filter functionality.  I haven't filed a bug on
the package because I don't really have enough information to say more than
"it doesn't work".  Maybe I ought to.

I ran courier-config on the Debian install and saved the result so I could
at least build a close approximation of it in case there were other packages
that needed to interface with it, and so that locations of stuff would be
generally compliant with Debian policy.  Then I nuked the Debian install and
built Courier from scratch using the saved configure options.  I'm finding
that everything works well so far, although I'm still feeling my way as to
exactly what functionality I want.

Sometimes the old GNU/Unix way (./configure, make, make check, make install)
is the best way!

I think, although I didn't document it, that the maintainer may have moved
some of the files out of their default locations as defined by the configure
options, which is a no-no with any system as modular and interdependent as
the courier suite is.

The Debian maintainer also used the default daemon user as the Courier user.
With a little more work he could have created an appropriate courier user
and group.

BTW, if you do this, and Debian's fascist package management system
complains because you don't have a mail-transpart-agent pseudopackage
installed, I built a package called stupidmail which installs nothing at all
but tweakes the deb database so as to satisfy the dependency and I'll be
happy to send it to anyone who wants it.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at