>After browsing the mailing list archives and searching the web I finally
>gave up and decided to ask the list.

You did not look hard enough ;-)

Here is a nice how-to that I found.

http://www.cerritoslug.org/tutorials/qmail-ldap

The author uses Open LDAP    -account info
                Courier IMAP -mail storage
                QMAIL        -similar to postfix

> My goal is to have no (unix) users on my server but to contain the users
> postfix/courier should recognize via LDAP attributes. This works fine for
> Postfix, but as soon as maildrop/courier kicks in I can't find documentation
> about setting it up so that all my (virtual) users reside in my LDAP
> database and mail gets distributed to their appropriate Maildirs in
> /var/spool/mail/$USER/Maildir

The above document should work with Postfix considering both are
designed very similar. I am currently using Postfix. I will tell you how
it works in a week.

> As far as I understand the documentation this would be possible by setting
> up a userdb - alas, that does definitely lack the beauty of managing only
> the LDAP objects without having to fiddle at more than one place.

I don't understand your question here.

Here is how I am doing it.

1. Generate User Accounts in LDAP directory.
    I wrote some simple scripts to do this.

    My LDAP structure.

        myorg.edu
            +People (Searchable Addressbook)
            +Accounts (Mail users/ passwords)

2. Generate Mail Directories in Courier IMAP
    Easy I think.

3. Setup Postfix.