Hi,

I've been using Courier (smtp & imap w/mysql) for a few months now, and I
really don't mind that it is very strict when it comes to RFCs. However, I
host mail for a few friends and family members, who really dislike not being
able to receive mail from e.g. hotmail. Especially, when they receive an
email with a binary attachment such as an image (it's rather difficult to
see the image when it becomes a simple plain text attachment ;).

To get around this, I simply took the source code (0.38.1) and grep'ed for
"dorewrite", and I changes all (about a handful) "dorewrite=1" to
"dorewrite=0". I actually know nothing about c/c++ code, so it may infact
break things. However, it seems to work for me. Receiving wacky-formatted
emails is now possible (at least I haven't noticed anything bad happening
yet).

I know it is not the right thing to do, but I have really tried to make
friends and familiy understand that it is an issue with bad email clients
and not "my" mail server. But, you know, they just want to be able to
receive email from anywhere no matter how broken a sender's email client may
be.

Like other Courier users I'd really appreciate if this thing gets
implemented as a compile-time option, but on the other hand, I can
understand why Sam and the other developers won't implement it. Broken email
clients should really be fixed instead.

Regards,
Frederik Dannemare