----- Original Message -----
From: "Sam Varshavchik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 3:36 PM
Subject: [courier-users] Re: esmtpauthclient and load balancing providers

> MH - Entwicklung writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I encountered the following problem:
> >
> > A provider offers the virtual host    auth.smtp.kundenserver.de    for
> > authenticated smtp.
> > This hostname may refer to different physical hosts. A reverse lookup
shows
> > a different hostname like e.g. mrelayng.kundenserver.de.
> > The file esmtpauthclient needs to hold the real name of the host in
order to
> > work. Otherwise the mailrelay isn't recognized for authentication.
> >
> > Shouldn't the file esmtpauthclient also work for the virtual name?
>
> The problem here is the CNAME record.  Use mrelayng.kundenserver.de
instead
> of auth.smtp.kundenserver.de

But the official name is auth.smtp.kundenserver.de. This may resolve as a
completely different host (e.g. mrelayng2.kundenserver.de) some days later.
Everytime the Provider changes something, I will have to enter the new A
RECORD in esmtpauthclient. Imagine you have some dozens of servers running
at different customers. And everytime their providers change the CNAME to a
different host I have a busy hotline.
I've seen providers doing this pretty often - I think for load balancing and
availability reasons.

Regards
Manfred