On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 01:32:43PM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> If you're only running 'makeuserdb' on host A, then there's not much of
> a problem with the current system.  You can symlink userdb/whatever to
> the files you need, and run 'makeuserdb' on host A.  Hosts B and C only
> need to read userdb.dat, so there shouldn't be a need for external
> files.

For the tenth time, host A has to write two (or more) different
sets of .dat files, and the location to which makeuserdb writes
those files is fixed at compile time, so it is not possible to
write more than one set of .dat files on the same host without
maintaining multiple builds of courier or changing symlinks every
time.

> If you wanted (at any point) to maintain different userdb's on different
> hosts, while sharing the courier installation, you'd want to make the
> userdb directory and the userdb.dat file symlinks to
> /etc/local-courier/userdb (or something similar), so that each machine
> could maintain its own.  It would not be sufficient to patch
> 'makeuserdb' in this case, because the hosts would overwrite the NFS
> mounted userdb.dat, and break the other hosts.

Reread my last post and you will see why this is not a concern.

--
Ben Rosengart     (212) 741-4400 x215

Microsoft has argued that open source is bad for business, but you
have to ask, "Whose business?  Theirs, or yours?"    --Tim O'Reilly