> The UID COPY command specified a nonexistent UID.  According to RFC
> 2060:
>                                          ...  A non-existent unique
>      identifier within a message set range is ignored without any
>      error message generated.

Thanks, I didn't know about that. However, I don't think that is the
problem in this case. I have managed to successfully copy a mail from
one folder to another, and then repeat the exercise with the same source
email (and from the same folder) to a different folder and have it fail.
The RFC says that the UID must not change, so if it is successful the
first time then the UID must be valid. Here are the log entries; first
the successful one where the number of messages in the destination
folder increases after the copy:

READ: NUMBER: 125
READ: ATOM: STATUS
READ: ATOM: INBOX.Scratch.sc1
READ: LPAREN
READ: ATOM: MESSAGES
READ: ATOM: RECENT
READ: ATOM: UIDNEXT
READ: ATOM: UIDVALIDITY
READ: ATOM: UNSEEN
READ: RPAREN
READ: EOL
WRITE: * STATUS "INBOX.Scratch.sc1" (MESSAGES 14 RECENT 0 UIDNEXT 15
UIDVALIDITY 1035476756 UNSEEN 0)125 OK STATUS Completed.

READ: NUMBER: 126
READ: ATOM: UID
READ: ATOM: COPY
READ: NUMBER: 3403
READ: ATOM: INBOX.Scratch.sc1
READ: EOL
WRITE: 126 OK COPY completed.

READ: NUMBER: 127
READ: ATOM: SELECT
READ: ATOM: INBOX.Scratch.sc1
READ: EOL
WRITE: * FLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Recent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen)] Limited
* 15 EXISTS
* 1 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1035476756] Ok
127 OK [READ-WRITE] Ok

Now the unsuccessful copy, using the same source message (UID 3403), but
this time the number of mails in the destination does not increase:

READ: NUMBER: 129
READ: ATOM: STATUS
READ: ATOM: INBOX.Scratch
READ: LPAREN
READ: ATOM: MESSAGES
READ: ATOM: RECENT
READ: ATOM: UIDNEXT
READ: ATOM: UIDVALIDITY
READ: ATOM: UNSEEN
READ: RPAREN
READ: EOL
WRITE: * STATUS "INBOX.Scratch" (MESSAGES 4 RECENT 0 UIDNEXT 5
UIDVALIDITY 1035476717 UNSEEN 0)129 OK STATUS Completed.

READ: NUMBER: 130
READ: ATOM: UID
READ: ATOM: COPY
READ: NUMBER: 3403
READ: ATOM: INBOX.Scratch
READ: EOL
WRITE: 130 OK COPY completed.

READ: NUMBER: 131
READ: ATOM: SELECT
READ: ATOM: INBOX.Scratch
READ: EOL
WRITE: * FLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Recent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen)] Limited
* 4 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1035476717] Ok
131 OK [READ-WRITE] Ok

This would seem to suggest that the UID is valid, but if you believe I
am mistaken please tell me - I am keen to prove the problem is, as I
suspect, with the client.

Keith