Tze-John Tang writes:

I am currently having problems with a user not being able to store emails
in their INBOX folder.  It seems that the error that they are getting is
that the INBOX folder does not hold messages.  I am wondering where these
folder attributes are stored, and how I can check to see what is wrong.
They are not stored anywhere. A folder exists, and it contains messages. It's an axiom.

report any error, but it does not store any messages.  From the JavaMail
client, I am getting the error that the folder does not hold messages.
JavaMail bug. Here's a sample of the imap server's output:

a list "" "INBOX"
* LIST (\Unmarked \HasChildren) "." "INBOX"
a OK LIST completed

If the folder contained only other folder, and not messages, the folder would have the \Noselect flag listed. For example, in my account:

a list "" "INBOX.Lists"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "." "INBOX.Lists"
a OK LIST completed

This is the server informing the client that "INBOX.Lists" does not store messages, it only contains other folders.

If anyone could shed some light on this, and also suggest ways to debug
this, that would be great.
Telnet to your IMAP port, log in, and see for yourself.