----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Livingston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 11:48 AM
Subject: [courier-users] Webmail only works SUID root????

> I'm trying to get Webmail working, but I find that it denies any logins at
> all (claiming invalid user ID or password) unless I make the webmail
> executable suid root. This is clearly not agreeable - clearly there's
> something that webmail is trying to access that apache:apache does not
have
> access to.
>
> I'm using the authdemon with PAM, and apache 2.
>
> What file(s) need to be chmoded or chowned to allow webmail to access
them?
> Or is webmail incompatible with authdemon?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Eric,

webmail needs RW access to $USER/Maildir to read the user's mail files,
move, delete, etc as they choose to do with the webmail interface.  Unlike
other "imap" based web clients (which are rather inefficient), sqwebmail
bypasses the imap server step and gets right to the files.

Installed as performed by the install scripts (per INSTALL instructions),
webmail works just fine, and yes, its SUID root.

Cheers,
andy