1.) When I set the ESMTPD to auth required, the esmtp daemon requires
authentication even to emails being delivered to the domain. Is this
normal? Basically, I would like a way for my road warriors to be able to
authenticate and use the SMTP without getting a "relaying denied" error. I
haven't been able to find any documentation for this particular issue.
See:
http://www.courier-mta.org/install.html#esmtpauth

2.) There is a request to have the email server deliver mails to unknown
users to a certain email accout. Sort of a catch-all which management wants
to implement while we move over from Exchange. Is there an easy way to do
this? Or will I need modify the ESMTP source?
echo "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" > /etc/courier/aliasdir/.courier-default
(or wherever your courier conf files live)

cheers,
Jeff

ps. to allow case-insensative local user names, you probably want to also:
touch /etc/courier/locallowercase