Once again, thanks for clearing things up.

So I guess I'm confused. Isn't the only way to have an empty sender
having no "MAIL FROM" during the smtp session?

Does courier accept smtp sessions where there's a RCPT TO but no valid
MAIL FROM?

I'm sorry for my ignorance... I'm just trying to understand this better.
I'm building a system where messages are only accepted if the sender
matches an entry in the recipient's addressbook. So basically it's an
"authenticated" delivery system. However, I do need to let through
messages from postmaster/mailer-daemon and any other valid
system-generated messages, including DSN and the like. But if I also
allow any message with an empty sender, then it might defeat the purpose
of the system.

I thought that the $SENDER variable was set to whatever the "MAIL FROM"
was set to during the smtp session.

Thanks for any insight.

Ricardo

> Thanks Sam.
>
> So let me put it another way... other than internally generated courier
> messages, and delivery status notifications, could there be an empty sender?

Anyone can use any return address for any message, including an empty one;
but officially only delivery status notifications (which includes bounces,
delivery receipts, and vacation messages) are supposed to have an empty
return address.  And, of course, anyone can be running a vacation
autoresponder.

> I'm trying to determine if in my mailfilter it is "safe" to accept
> messages with empty sender, or if there are possibilities of malicious or
> junk mail in which the sender is empty?

Of course there's junk mail around with an empty sender; just like there's
plenty of junk mail where the sender address is set to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.