On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 11:03, Juri Haberland wrote:
> > I have been experimenting with a few things, and have noticed that imapd
> > is almost unbearably slow when moving (actually, COPY 'ing) messages to
> > a Maildir that is 'large'.  By 'large' I qualify that to mean roughly
> > 9000 messages.  I am running under Linux 2.4.20, and use the ext3
> > filesystem, although I've run my experiments on both the IBM jfs and the
> > ext3 filesystems.  The filesystem is not the issue here, however.
>
> Ext3 as a filesystem is most certainly an issue if it comes to many
> entries in one directory. Here a quote of a recent message by Andreas
> Dilger, one of the ext3 developers on the ext3 mailing list:
>
> > Yes, you will see this as a significant increase in system time for
> > directory access.  The stock ext2/3 directory code doesn't work so well
> > past about 5000 entries in a single directory (it survives up to about
> > 10000 entries, but basically dies after that.
>
> I don't know about JFS, but I use XFS and it works quite nice.

Before switching to Courier, I did a bit of benchmarking of mbox vs
maildir, and ext3 vs reiserfs.  The results are here:

    http://www.decisionsoft.com/pdw/mailbench.html

I didn't test up to the sizes being discussed here, though.

Paul
--
Paul Warren, Client Services           DecisionSoft Limited
+44-1865-203192                        http://www.decisionsoft.com