Anand Buddhdev writes:

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 08:16:12AM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

This release adds a new tunable parameter that controls processing of mail queue backlogs; adds Solaris IPv6 support, and fixes a number of bugs.

Sam,

I have an observation about the new queuefill parameter. When I initially
tried it, it worked as I expected it to. Yesterday I was doing some more
tests, and it seemed not be working, so this afternoon, I conducted the
following controlled test (queuelo=200, queuehi=400, queuefill=5m):

time    action
--------------
t       injected 20 msgs for host A (host A unreachable, queuedeliverying=20)
t+10    injected 380 msgs for host B (host B also unreachable, queuedelivering=400)
t+20    injected 20 msgs for host C (all delivered in a few seconds,
queuedelivering=380)

So I expected the queuefill timer to expire at t+310 and trigger a
refill of the queue, to refill the 20 messages for host A that had been
evicted to make space for messages for host C. This is because at t+10,
the high watermark was reached.

However, at t+310, nothing happened. queuedelivering was still at 380,
and courier was making attempts to deliver messages to host B, and
getting deferrals. At t+610, the queue still hadn't re-filled. The queue
was eventually refilled to queuehi (400) at t+1h, when courierd restarted.

Have I missed something? Or is there a bug in the code?

What happened, probably is that first twenty messages got deferred quickly before the second batch got fully injected. They got kicked out of the queue before the next 380 messages came in, so the in-memory queue never reached the high watermark.

When mail gets deferred, it is removed from the in-memory queue. The timer only starts ticking when the queue high watermark is reached.