On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Oliver Kuehne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using debian + courier-imap + mysql
> I want to save the passwords for authentification in the mysql-database with
> md5.
> I know that I have to use the md5 with base_64_encoding.
> So, the word "secret" is c2VjcmV0 in mysql.
>
> In Courier's authmysqlrc is set:
> MYSQL_CRYPT_PWFIELD     CONCAT('{MD5}',password)
>
> However, it doesn't work.
> If I use the normal crypt-function, all is onright.
>
> Is there any hint for what I' doing wrong.

Perhaps there is some other solution, but I use a small C app I wrote. You
can get it at http://www.laffeycomputer.com/crypter.c Directions for
compiling it are in the comments. Note that your system's crypt(3)
function must support MD5 for this to work (most modern un*xes do).

crypter is free. You would use it like this:

mybox> ./crypter 'my pass'
$1$$ZgHOLxjS.UBCu4uVg70a91

This is known to work on NetBSD. Older linuxes do not seem to have MD5
support in their crypt(3). I am not sure about modern linuxes. Please feel
free to improve upon this.

--
Joe Laffey              |  Want to convert subnet masks between different
LAFFEY Computer Imaging |  notations, or figure the number of IPs in a block?