Scott writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Scott writes:

Hi,

This weekend my mailq filled up with messages that were de-spooled from my secondary mx after my server went back online. There are messages sitting in the mailq with apparently valid delivery instructions, but 'courier flush' isn't moving them out. There are some junk messages in there, could those be holding up the legit ones? Is there another way to get these messages moving? Other than the 170 messages waiting for a home, all mail is flowing as expected.

If the mail queue is above a certain size, 'courier flush' is not going to reschedule every message in the queue.

After doing 'courier flush' examine syslog to determine whether a delivery attempt was made for those messages; and if not why it was deferred.

After more 'courier flush's the valid emails finally went through.

On an unrelated note: Sam, what email client are you using that adds the 'Re:' _after_ the [courier-users] in the subject? Or do you do it by hand?

It doesn't. My mail client removes all "cruft" from the reply's subject (which includes other stagnant Re:s, (fwd)s, and [listname]). When I'm composing this reply, for example, the subject reads:

Subject: Re: flushing the mail queue

That's what I'm replying to. After I mail it, the mailing list manager will prepend the list name to the subject. If I replied directly to you, instead of the mailing list, the reply would not include the mailing list name.

That's how ALL intelligent mail clients should work, so that the recipient can easily determine -- without bothering to look at the headers -- whether the reply is sent directly, or through the mailing list.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: Etnus, makers of TotalView, The best thread debugger on the planet. Designed with thread debugging features you've never dreamed of, try TotalView 6 free at www.etnus.com. _______________________________________________ courier-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users