On Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003, at 12:45 US/Central, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

I wrote:
I notice that if I create folders and move files into them, that all the mailfiles still reside under the cur directory of the maildir directory. Will they all always be in this one directory, regardless of the folders they are assigned to?

I looked closer and see that subfolders are dot directories, and that not everything is kept in one directory as I incorrectly thought.

No, you're right, they aren't... but unless you divide things up before importing (and then import into different targets), they will still end up in one folder to start with. And that could be a REAL problem with 80,000 messages! =)

Reports vary -- and vary *greatly* depending on the underlying filesystem -- but usually a few thousand (i.e. 2K-5K) is probably all you can handle reasonably in one folder.

I need to convert my existing 30 some-odd mbox folders into
maildir folders somehow. Is there a utility for doing this conversion?

Can anyone point me to a program that does this, or to documentation I should read (I've been looking, but I might have overlooked > something).

-ste

Well, there's probably a better solution, but I think you could rig it relatively easily with remormail and maildrop somehow. -- I've never done it, but you should be able to anyway, since reformail will split mbox files into individual messages for processing by another program.

Of course, I *believe* that someone recently said they'd written their own script or program to do the same thing you want, so you should check the list archives for info. (Of course, that's always true. :) ... And I wouldn't be surprised at all if people using Qmail or Postfix or another maildir-capable MTA have already written scripts to do this anyway. You might check some of their sites/FAQs and list archives too.

-jab