On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 07:39:47PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Heberto del Rio writes:
>
> >Hi, I was wondering if it is really necessary to have rpm>= 4.0.2, in
> >order to build the rpms? I have linux box SuSE 8.2 and its rpm is 3.0.6.
> >For some reason (which I don't understand) SuSE has not upgraded this
> >package, and I don't think I need to, since everything works perfect in my
> >box. Can I still create the rpms or I have to go the 'tar cvjf
> >./configure' way?
>
> You can certainly try to build using an older RPM.  If it works, fine.  If
> not, you get to figure out why it doesn't.

Hello Sam,

a friend of mine tried the same, one of the problems he encountered was the:
Requires(Post): /sbin/chkconfig

chkconfig is available on SuSE as well, but rpm-3.xx does not know how to
handle the Requires(Post)-tag.

It's a pity, as I recommend courier to every of my friends wanting to build a
"mail server" instead of fiddling with the combination of postfix, cyrus-imap,
sieve and openldap. I tell them download the stuff, create your rpm-settings,
run rpm(build) -tb courier* and you are done.

But the first thing this guy (who is running SuSE despite my advice) ran into
was the to-new SPEC-file.

Regards
Mirko