Jason,

Your DEFAULTDELIVERY setting tells courier that the maildir is
/usr/local/virtual/<userdir>/Maildir with new and cur within Maildir.

Looks like you created <userdir> with maildirmake rather than Maildir
within <userdir>.

Courier will create the object specified by DEFAULTDELIVERY as an mbox
file, if it doesn't exist as a maildir.  It's better than bouncing or
discarding the e-mail.

I'd recommend you correct the directory structure so you have a Maildir
under <userdir>.  Other parts of Courier expect to read delivery-option
files from <userdir> itself, which should be a normal (not maildir)
directory.  (I.e. do not change DEFAULTDELIVERY to just '.' as doing so
would just wreak havoc elsewhere.)

        William