On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 01:36:55PM +1000, Systems Administrator wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
> > BobsKC writes:
> >
> > > « HTML content follows »
> > >
> > > When I receive an email with an attachment I usually delete the attachment
> > > and save the message to a folder. However, when I do this both the message
> > > and the attachment get saved in the folder and are marked as deleted.
> > > Anyone know how to fix this so just the message will be saved to the
> > > folder and the attachment gets deleted? Thanks a bunch!!
> >
> > There is no such thing as "saving an attachment to a folder" in IMAP.
> >
> > You need to log the IMAP commands sent by the client to the server, and go
> > from there.
>
>       I think what he wants is, after he's saved the attachment to his
> local computer, to be able to remove the attachment from the message on
> the IMAP server (ie. from the server's point of view, just delete the
> attachment and leave the message).  I don't know of any way to do what he
> wants, but I'm no IMAP expert either.

I think this has nothing to do with the server but the client does the work. If
I remember right Lookout (TM) (but not Fast Lookout (TM)) has this capability,
mutt has it as well, but might not always be an option ;-).

In mutt you enter the list of attachments and press "d" for deletion. The
structure of the message will not be changed, but instead of a big binary only
a text with the words "Deleted Attachment foobar.doc" remains.

Regards
Mirko