On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:34:15 +0200 Juri Haberland wrote:

> Jeff Potter wrote:
>
> >> Is there a flag, available today, that can be set that tells
> >courier > to _try_ TLS?  In other words, if STARTTLS is announced and
> >you call > the bluff, rather than failing to deliver and deferring
> >the message it > would retry without calling STARTTLS.  If there
> >isn't a flag that does > this, can it be added to a wish list?  For
> >karma sake, it would be > nice if it would log the failed STARTTLS
> >attempt so that one could > contact the postmaster of that domain and
> >notify him.
>
> > I'll second this as a wish-list item -- I recently had to turn off
> > starttls for outbound messages as well, and was surprised that
> > Courier didn't gracefully fall-back.
>
> Just as a note:
> Postfix-tls has the same "problems" but provides a file called
> 'tls_per_site', where you can disable TLS for a particular site -
> obviously similar to 'esmtproutes'.
> IMHO, what you are asking for is a workaround for bugs in other MTA
> software. One can argue about that...

It's all very well to argue about correct behaviour in other MTAs.
But the problem remains, that mail remains undelivered. And sometimes,
email *is* important.

We're talking here about a feature in courier which allows for it to
fall back to an unencrypted connection if STARTTLS negotiation fails.
Exim is a great example reasonable behaviour. If it tries STARTTLS, and
that fails, it falls back to an unencrypted connection, logging this
fact; email gets delivered. However, exim can be told to specifically
insist on STARTTLS with certain sites, in which case, a failure to
negotiate a secure connection will cause the message to bounce. We might
want this kind of behaviour with certain sites.

--
Anand Buddhdev
http://anand.org