3)  I would also like to have the folders defaulting to the root level.
And not as subfolders of the Inbox.  I believe there is an issue here,
but after reading the FAQ on this topic, I decided I must be
particularly stoopid since I didn't understand it.  Please could someone
explain it throughly or point me to a better (step-by-step??) guide.

If your client doesn't use the NAMESPACE extention to determine what the top level is, then maybe you can configure it. Check your preferences for the 'IMAP Server Directory', or something similar. You may need to use 'INBOX' or 'INBOX.' as the value.

Please see http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=96n1jp%2419kj%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dcourier%2Btop%2Blevel%2Bpatch%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch

a more recent version of the patch, which applies slightly fuzzy to the latest courier-imap can be found here
http://www.petit-power.com/lib/toplevelfolder.patch
Works fine here.

I'd advocate to have this feature added to the default install (maybe as compile option) as the patch is hard to trace down. I'm almost sure I'm not the only one who'd welcome this.

Yes, certainly it's against the RFC to do this sort of stuff - but if neither Mozilla/Thunderbird, The Bat, Eudora or Outlook get it right, then this isn't just a quirky error of a single MUA - it's a common error and hence a drawback on the usability of courier-imap for a major number of clients. I'd be good to be tolerant in what courier-imap accepts - there are other compile time fixes for "broken" MUAs, let's have another one - that *does* make a difference for a lot of people...

All the best,
Gregor