Julian Mehnle wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I'm using courier (excellent!) IMAP in a multiple virtual domain
environment. I'm using /etc/userdb for authentication. My problem
is I can't have a user [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] with my current
understanding of the userdb format. There is only a single namespace
across all userdb entries. Whats the best way around this?

I've tried using full [EMAIL PROTECTED] as keys to userdb, and that works,
but means I would need to tell my users to login with usernames of
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]' and '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' instead of just 'paul'.

This is the way to go.

Is this the only solution I am likely to find, apart from have multiple
instances of courier talking to different userdb's ?

Yes, there is no other way. How should Courier know *which* domain (and which userdb entry) a user means when he logs in using just "paul"? Courier can't magically figure out the domain the user means.

This problem is not specific to the userdb authentication backend, but applies to all other auth backends as well.

There is another way. It would be asigning one ip for each domain, then apply a patch to make the authentication backend aware of the default domain based on the ip the connections are made to.

This way, you can have [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED], each one of them login in as john, but then you'll need to tell them to set their mail services to be at mail.domain1.com and mail.domain2.com or something like that.

I had to make this to migrate from another system that provided that feature, but if I could, I would make my users to change their setup to their full email address.

Randy Lewis made a public patch based on this idea, i think you can find it on the archives from january-february of 2002.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: SF.net Giveback Program. Does SourceForge.net help you be more productive? Does it help you create better code? SHARE THE LOVE, and help us help YOU! Click Here: http://sourceforge.net/donate/ _______________________________________________ courier-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users