So last night I'm trying to use couriertls for an application outside of
the normal courier mechanisms.  Initially, things went great.
However, I quickly ran into a problem, which I spent altogether far too
long debugging - couriertls does not do "normal" name resolution. By
that I mean it does not do name resolution like nearly every other
application on the planet -- it does not consult /etc/hosts as indicated
by my /etc/nsswitch.conf file.  Instead, it uses the library MrSam wrote
for courier uses, rfc1035, which appears to do direct-to-nameserver
queries.  The problem here, of course, is that names like 'localhost'
and 'localhost.localdomain' do not resolve.  What I'm trying to
understand, MrSam, is the rationale for doing things this way?
Shouldn't people expect their applications to work just like every other
application, at least with respect to things like name resolution?
I'm so frustrated.

--
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is two wolves attempting to have a sheep for dinner and

Jon Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
C and Python Code Gardener