Actually, it's not specifying the format of a configuration file. It's
specifying the format of the DNS response. It just so happens that most DNS
servers simply respond with what's in their configuration file, so it
appears the same.

In this case, Courier is querying DNS and looking at the result. If the
result breaks RFC1035 (which superceded 974) then it won't deliver. I don't
remember the reasoning behind the 1035 spec, but I follow it.

Best regards,
ssh