Mitch (WebCob) writes:

Thanks Sam - I think you are right - though I don't see WHY what I was doing
works sometimes?!?!

I had this line in my maildroprc file while I was testing some new additions
and rules:

cc "| /usr/bin/env >>/tmp/env"

The file in /tmp/env had 666 file permissions.

I'm assuming my problem must be (even though I can only see a single
delivery attempt at a time) something to do with my lack of locking.

No.

After invoking the above command, the message to be delivered is supplied on
standard input, via a pipe.

The âenvâ command does not read anything from standard input.

If the message is small, the entire message will fit in the pipe buffer; and
maildrop will succesfully write out the entire message to the delivery
process.

Once a message exceeds some operating system-dependent pipe buffer size,
maildrop will detect that the mail delivery agent failed to read the
message.  This condition will be reported as an error.

Programs invoked via the to/cc command are expected to deliver the message
somewhere.  A detected failure to read the message is reported as an error
condition.