Ok, I've tried this now and either I'm missing something or the semantics aren't quite as you explained.

I'll try to explain my total configuration to give you a better view of what I'm trying to acheive.

The machine is called mail.craffe.se. It is a MX for the domain craffe.se. Sending mail to the domain works fine (it is later forwarded to an internal server using esmptroutes). It is also a backup MX for the domain mathias.nu. Being a backup MX I have the machine's name in locals in order for the backup MX semantics to function properly. Sending mail to the domain mathias.nu also works perfectly fine.

Now for the problem. Sending mail to, for example, [EMAIL PROTECTED] results in the machine trying to deliver the mail to the local user account 'luser'. I added mail.craffe.se to esmtproutes in an attempt to redirect the mail, but the locals file seems to have priority. What I'd like is that mail would have been redirected to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (i.e. to the domain, not the machine) or have it rejected (with '550 User unknown' or similar).
From what I can gather the only system that has priority over locals is the aliases. And I doesn't seem to be a syntax that gives me what I want (except one aliases for each and every user on the machine).

So, what are my options? I don't like the current situation where the local users can receive mail but I can't figure out how to stop it.

Regards Pierre

Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

From: "Pierre Ossman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid it doesn't quite answer my questions.
The problem was never mail directed to the domain that it was a backup
MX for. The problem is mail directed at the mail server itself.
So in a more condensed form:

* Does it check in 'me' when comparing MX records if 'locals' doesn't

exist?

* How can I block/redirect mail addressed to the mail server (_not_ the
domain it's handling) without having to put up an alias for every user
on the machine?

Ah.

Well, all the hostnames must be in 'locals', both for primary and secondary
roles.  And all the domain names must be in 'esmtpacceptmailfor'.  The
server will compare itself with the MX records.
* Where the server finds itself to be the MX at the lowest priority, it
will keep the email - you need to have a local account, or perhaps forward
it to a private internal mail server using 'smtproutes'.  Of course, if you
relay the mail using smtproutes, then the destination server will do the
user account validation.
* Where the server finds itself to be a secondary MX, it will queue the
mail for the primary MX.

I hope this is what you needed...

Patrick.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: Perforce Software. Perforce is the Fast Software Configuration Management System offering advanced branching capabilities and atomic changes on 50+ platforms. Free Eval! http://www.perforce.com/perforce/loadprog.html _______________________________________________ courier-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users