Thanks for the reply.

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 03:59:00PM +1300, Phillip Hutchings wrote:
> That's what make does. It's working fine.

I don't understand.  Why doesn't it do on on other targets like
install-strip?

> To change the installation directory you need to set it when you
> configure the install.
>
> ./configure --prefix=/some/dir

I am using prefix, but that isn't related to installing into a build
directory for building a binary package.  That requires DESTDIR.  Is
courier not set up to be able to create a binary package that works
out of the box on more than one machine?  If it is, I should not have
to run "make install-configure" from a source directory after
installing.  I need to be able to use DESTDIR so that I can have the
package all pre-configured before creating a binary package to take to
another machine.