I think I found the problem after googling websites.....I was trying to compile courier-imap rpm as root. Any suggestions on compiling as non-root?

Hi all. I am attempting to install courier-imap according to the instructions on http://www.ndhsoft.com/qmailtoaster.htm, on redhat linux 8. It seems to compile successfully, until I finally got the following errors:

configure: error: /var/tmp/vpopmail-toaster-5.3.8-buildroot/home/vpopmail/etc/lib_deps does not exist - upgrade vpopmail to the current version or fix the permissions on this file
configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for authlib

RPM build errors: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.13763 (%build)

Can anyone assist me? The error mentions upgrading vpopmail, but I have already installed the most recent version.
Any help is appreciated.