> Does anyone have any practical or philosophical arguments on where to
> put virtual mail users' maildirs?
>
> Eg, they could be in /home/virtualmail/$domain/$username.
>
> But on the other side, if the domain 'belongs' to a system user,
> wouldn't it make more sense to put it in
> /home/$username/mail/$domain/$username?

Not necessarily. Do you really want that user reading all of the email
sent to mailboxes you host for that domain? In most cases I highly doubt
it.

My personal philosophy is to host all virtual user mail under a
directory only accessible to a a special group (I use 'virtual'). You
can then configure courier to interact with those virtual users using
that group, thus preventing anyone else (including the system users
associated with the virtual accounts) from obtaining unauthorized access
to hosted mail.

Charles

--
Smith Brothers