Dear Mr. Varshavchik: I have been trying to find a way to implement
reliable recipient-specific content filtering without bounces
("reliable" plus "without bounces" means that every message the user's
filter doesn't like will encounter a 5yz SMTP response code).

I have had a discussion with Wietse Venema (and briefly Claus Assmann)
which was not especially fruitful, except that Claus's comment caused me
to do some searching which led me to your "Extended SMTP DATA Reply"
internet draft.

I am pleased to see that you covered the same ground in 1999 which I am
trying to cover now.  I would love to discuss it with you here, if you
don't think it would be off-topic for this mailing list.

(Note: I am not trying to define a new SMTP extension, and get it
accepted universally.  I am just trying to find a good way for an
individual server to implement recipient-specific content filtering,
unilaterally, while communicating with currently installed MTAs.  My
goal is only a small subset of what you wanted in 1999: I am only trying
to accomplish something like the approach you described in the last half
of the "Transitional behavior" section of your draft.  I know that even
this subset cannot be achieved today without making some compromises,
but I am hopeful that a workable set of compromises can be found.)

The strategy I've arrived at is slightly different from yours, so
perhaps you will find an idea or two which you would like to cherry-
pick.  Or perhaps you could give me some valuable advice about how to
make this system practical in today's SMTP environment.  Or perhaps you
have already achieved workable RRSCFWB, and I won't have to implement
anything at all, if I only switch to Courier!

Archives of the previous discussion are linked below.  I don't ask you
to read the whole thread, but it would be helpful if you could skim it.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.postfix.user/108530
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postfix-users&m=110737938415524
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=ctrgat%242sgu%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw

Thank you,