Courier IMAP may or may not be the best choice, depending on your
circumstances.  "The best choice" is a problematic term.  What are the
alternatives?

Are there some ?

The most popular alternatives are:

Cyrus - personally I am a big fan of maildir, but I haved used this and one of my mail accounts is on a cyrus IMAP server, it is quite picky about headers being correct and you won't be able to copy a message from Courier to Cyrus if it falls foul of it.

UW IMAP - I have used this, Crispin also prepared the RFC 3501 (IMAPrev1). Didn't support maildir either (mbox) last time I used it so was a non-starter for me (I have my reasons).

BINC - Not a fan of courier if you ever look at the site. It works very well in many test cases I have used, however some stuff it is quite slow, the author himself acknowledges there is work to be done optimising some areas, definitely less features.

My information of UW IMAP is a bit out of date, but last time I checked it didn't support nearly as many features as cyrus and courier.

Cyrus strength is also its weakness, it likes to run as a CLOSED system, okay you can get exim to use LTMP to deliver to it but you are stick with local transport agent, imap and pop3 servers.

On the other hand courier allows you to use (Indeed I do!) use alternative pop3 (supporting maildir of course). The file names uses is
like the names used in MTA such as exim (expecially with ,S= extension to name) and hence more flexibility.

My last comment is I found courier source code very easy to modify to do werid stuff that only I need.

My favorite imap servers are definitely courier and cyrus. The one I use is entirely dependant on exactly what I am trying to do, it isn't simply getting mail. ;) [However I have more courier servers running the cyrus ones!!]

Ricky

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click _______________________________________________ courier-users mailing list courier-users@lists.sourceforge.net Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users