PHP 5.0.4
Apache 1.3.33
Squirrelmail 1.4.4 and I tried 1.5.0
Compatibility plugin
secure_login plugin
Vpopmail 5.4.10
MySQL 4.1.12
Slackware Linux 10.1
All software was installed from source. The problem, which I have not seen anyone else state EXACTLY, is that squirrelmail refuses to authenticate. Pop3 and smtp both work perfectly fine via a pop3 email client, vpopmail is interfacing with mysql just fine and I can check my mail using an email client. But, as soon as I try to login with squirrelmail (and I even tried using sqwebmail) authentication fails. I always get the same errors in my maillog:
mail1 imapd: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
mail1 imapd: LOGIN FAILED, user=****, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
mail1 httpd: Squirrelmail login failed for Username : ****, Password : $$$$
mail1 imapd: Disconnected, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], time=5 (username and password were replaced by me, they were correct) However, sometimes along with that I get this very familiar error: mail1 authdaemond: vmysql: sql error[3]: MySQL server has gone away Which I'm sure most of you have seen before in a few circumstances. As I stated before, vpopmail works with mysql just fine, and I'm triple and quadruple checked my squirrelmail username and password that is being used to access the mysql database. I can't find any information that helps me with this, I've searched and searched...please give me an easy answer. If you need more info, or anything clarified, please let me know...this is driving me crazy! ;)